Gluten Free Chocolate Rice Crispies Dessert
Gluten free desserts are never quite the same, not that they’re necessarily less tasty, maybe just less familiar tasting, which is a problem for many kids. This dessert is so good, I had to restrain and ration both my son and husband from eating it. It’s gluten free, can be dairy free, even soy free.
Here’s a recipe my sister sent me from sunny Singapore. She either only shares the simplest recipe with me, or abbreviates them so I can be somewhat successful in reproducing them.
- Grease/butter an 8 inch square dish.
- Place about 10 oz chocolate * (chips or buttons or chopped from a block) and about 2 oz butter in a heatproof bowl (pyrex or metal is OK) and set this over a saucepan of gently simmering water until melted. (As it melts, give it stir now and then)
- Remove from heat and add about 3 oz rice crispies (one box) and stir till well blended. Tip everything into buttered dish. Spread it out. Take a piece of cling wrap, large enough to cover the dish, and use it to compact the crispies. Leave the cling wrap on top, chill in fridge for about 1-2 hours, until it is firm.
- You can cut it up direct in the dish or turn it out to cut. A bit messy, but tastes good! Store in fridge.
That’s it. Enjoy!
* I used a dairy free, soy free semisweet chocolate. May use up to 70% cocoa for the antioxidant, anything more would be too bitter, milk chocolate might be too sweet.